Monday, January 14, 2008

blog post #1 - time stood still as these words were conceived...if only time existed to begin with

These are a few of my favorite quotes, literature style...

A particular revelation on the life of the mind, from Plato's famous cave allegory:
"Come then, share with me this thought also: It isn't surprising that the ones who get to this point are unwilling to occupy themselves with human affairs and that their souls are always pressing upwards, eager to spend their time above, for, after all, this is surely what we'd expect, if indeed things fit the image (coming into the light from the cave) I described before." - The Republic

Possibly the greatest opening setences of any novel ever:
"I am a sick man . . . I am a wicked man. An unattractive man. I think my liver hurts. However, I don't know a fig about my sickness, and am not sure what it is that hurts me. I am not being treated and never have been, though I respect medicine and doctors. What's more, I am also superstitious in the extreme; well, at least enough to respect medicine. (I'm sufficiently educated not to be superstitious, but I am.) No, sir, I refuse to be treated out of wickedness." - Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

And as a credit to this class, here's my perspective on time, spoken by Tralfamadorian:
"I am a Tralfamadorian, seeing all time as you might see a stretch of the Rocky Mountains. All time is all time. It does not change. It does not lend itself to warnings or explanations. It simply is." - Slaughterhouse Five

No comments: